Officer Complaint Information
If you are disputing why you were given a ticket or why you were arrested, that is not a complaint. That matter should be handled in court.
Most disagreements involving officers can be worked out by discussing the problem with the officer's supervisor. If you feel it is necessary to lodge a formal complaint, you may pick
up a general complaint form at the front desk at the Police Department. Once the form is returned, an investigation into the matter will be initiated. If the complaint is alleging
brutality, the form must be notarized before being returned. You will be notified of the outcome of the investigation.
BERLIN POLICE DEPARTMENT
COMPLAINT FORM INSTRUCTIONS
The purpose of the Complaint Form is to institute an internal inquiry into allegations of misconduct or a violation of the Berlin Police Department’s Rules and Regulations against a member of the Berlin Police Department.
In order to insure an expedient and proper investigation into the allegations it is necessary that you comply with the following instructions when making a formal complaint against a member of the Berlin Police Department.
1. In order for this department to keep an accurate account of complaints, you are required to give your name, address and telephone number.
2. Place the full name of the Police Officer in question on the complaint form. (one officer per complaint form)
3. Be as accurate as possible when giving the date, time and location of the incident.
4. Traffic violations are not investigated regarding guilt or innocence; however, actions during a stop may be reviewed.
5. When giving the statement of facts, try to remember exactly what took place, and place the events in the order of sequence in which they occurred.
6. The form must be sworn to before a Notary Public onlyin cases of the excessive use of force/brutality.
7. When this form is completed, place the form in a sealed envelope and return it to:
10 William Street Berlin, MD 21811
Attn: Office of the Chief of Police
8. All complaints against the Chief of Police shall be directed to the Town Administrator (410) 641-2770.
9. You will be notified of the receipt of the form and the findings of the investigation.
NOTE: Any person who files a false complaint or statement regarding police misconduct or violation of Berlin Police Department Rules or Regulations may be prosecuted for the criminal offenses of making a false Police report.